Skip to main content

My 100 Book Year

Every year, I see people doing things with their lives to support worthy causes. They run marathons; climb mountains; enter tedious white-collar boxing matches. And every year, I realise there is just no way I can do any of that. My lungs would collapse; I’d topple off base-camp; my knuckles would fall off. Fundraising is difficult for people who have no life-skills.

And then I remembered: I can read. Admittedly this isn’t a huge boast in the Western world, sitting somewhere between being able to tie your shoelaces and knowing how to make toast. But nonetheless, I can put it to good use.

So in 2018, I’m going to read and review 100 books. On average that’s a book every 3.65 days, maths fans. A YouGov survey suggests the average number of books read per year in the UK is around 10. Last year I managed to read 85 books – and that was going full-pelt, so this is going to be a hell of a stretch. A full Stretch Armstrong’s worth.

I’m also going to be reading books exclusively by women, from a range of different backgrounds –  fiction, non-fiction, graphic novels, and the odd play.

Since I’ll be benefitting so much from women authors, I’ll be taking sponsorship for a woman-focused charity – the incredible Refuge. They support women and children who are fleeing domestic abuse – a crime that disproportionately affects women. Chances are upsettingly high that we’ll all know a woman affected by domestic violence at some point in our lives. Refuge supports 5500 women and children every single day, and their funding is suffering cuts year after year. Just £52 will pay for a mother and her children to stay somewhere safe for a night.

So if you’d like to sponsor me per book, or just make a single donation on the (probably unwise) bet that I’ll actually get through all 100, I’d be overwhelmingly grateful - you can do it on my JustGiving page. If you’re a UK citizen, don’t forget to Gift Aid it too – it’ll bump up your donation quite a bit. I’ll be posting progress updates and reviews of the books too, so you can follow along and monitor my increasing panic levels. 

Thanks very much for your support!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review 42: The Vegetarian by Han Kang

It’s hard not to respect trees. I try my best, but they always get me in the end, the cunning green-and-brown scamps. They don’t do anyone any harm. They just stand there, absorbing nutrients from above and below, pumping out oxygen with the quiet confidence of a wizard puffing his pipe. It would be wrong to call that the central premise of Han Kang’s The Vegetarian , because it’s not. But the idea of comparing human morality against the gentle harmlessness of vegetation rings through its core. The central character, Yeong-hye, a housewife, decides to stop eating meat. While this seems like a fairly small choice and one hardly worth building a whole novel around, the novel explores the reactions of her family and her own gradual slip into extremism in a slow-but-steady deterioration. The most intriguing, and in many ways frustrating, aspect to the novel is the impenetrability of Yeong-hye herself. You’re never quite allowed inside her head, and so have to observe her change from...

Review 23: Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda

Fantasy is a funny beast (ironically). It’s easy to dismiss it as dragons ‘n’ arrows; the land of a thousand quests, where you can’t have a word without starting it with s. But when you find someone who gets it right, it’s like finding – oh, I don’t know – a mysterious golden ring or something far-fetched like that. It has a power that sucks you in. The Hugo award-winning Monstress is a fantasy graphic novel that does it right. The world-building is superb, leaving few cracks in its foundations, and you’re aware of the wider plot in the same way as, when you’re on a train, you’re aware of the rails. That said, this isn’t for everyone. The world that Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda have painstakingly constructed is grim and gritty. In the words of a film about milkshake: there will be blood. There’s really quite a lot of it, revealed in all sorts of interesting and violent ways. There’s also a fudge-ton of swearing. These don’t feel particularly gratuitous, for the most part –...

Review 44: Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively

Claudia Hampton, the star of Penelope Lively’s Moon Tiger , is about as big a shit as you can imagine without actually being a psychopath or criminal. This book, then, is all the more impressive for being able to take such a dislikeable character and reveal the reasons why she is the way she is, and make you empathise and sympathise with her. Actually, before we get into that, let’s address the stripy lunar elephant in the room: Moon Tiger is a brilliant title for a book. It’s the sort of title I imagine that, when she came up with it, Lively lit a big cigar and swanned around the house for days chuckling to herself. A tiger! From the moon ! Whimsical diversions aside, this book has nothing to do with tigers or the moon, so get that out of your head right now. It’s actually about a woman evaluating the history of the world as it relates to her, and the discovery of the events in her life that developed her personality. It’s also a book that’s very concerned with the fal...